RE: Volitional Morality and Action Judgement

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 06:46:12 MDT

Hi,

I have read Daniel Dennett's book.

I think "Freedom Evolves" is a better book than "Consciousness
Explained."

In Consciousness Explained, Dennett basically declares that experience
doesn't exist, and dismisses the "hard problem" of
Consciousness without any serious or intelligent discussion.

In Freedom Evolves, on the other hand, Dennett provides a pretty good
analysis of the neuroscience and psychology of free will, excepting of
course those aspects relating to consciousness ;-)

In his discussion of Libet, as I recall, he argues that Libet's results
simply indicate that the experience of free will is something that
occurs over a period of time and space in the brain, rather than being
localized to a single choice-point. He then waves his hands and says
that future research will yield more insight.

OK, fine. But he doesn't really say anything new of substance in the
book(he just dismisses, correctly, a lot of other peoples' illusions);
and in particular, he doesn't address the peculiarity of Libet's finding
that conscious awareness of a stimulus or action tends to follow the
actual stimulus action by about half a second.

-- Ben G