Re: Volitional Morality and Action Judgement

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 22:25:00 MDT

Eliezer,

You wrote:

> I think I have to side with Keith. I fear
> that human self-modification is far more dangerous
> than I would once have liked to imagine.

Oh, sorry. Perhaps I wasn't clear. I agree that *human* self-modification
is a huge can of worms, one I do not wish to open. My comments about
dialing-down hunger, or other basic drives (or dial-up for that matter) was
in reference to an uploaded, transhuman being. I sincerely hope that by the
time I come to upload there will be well established and reasonably safe
methods of altering one's own mind. I imagine the process could be
facilitated with the help of another being, perhaps an FAI, who is an expert
in assisting others to alter themselves safely. It is with these
assumptions that I wrote that "I am eagerly looking forward to reprogramming
... my own mind".

Michael Roy Ames