HUMOR: Not Impressed

From: Michael Wilson (mwdestinystar@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 10:57:21 MDT

'That Don't Impress Me Much' - SL4 version

I've been meaning to post this for a while; for some reason every time
Eliezer
criticises someone else's AI theory I imagine him singing this at an SIAI
karokee night. Yes, it's based on an awful piece of hypercommercial pop,
but it seemed to fit. With apologies to Shania Twain.

-----

I've known a few researchers who thought they had a clue,
But you've got toy problems down to an art,
You think you're AI's Eienstien; you drive me up the wall,
You're a regular wishful thinker, another Newell.

Oh-oo-oh, you think you know the secret,
Oh-oo-oh, you think you can code it.

Okay, so you've got an agent system,
That don't impress me much,
So you've got layering but where's the cognitive work?
Don't get me wrong, yeah I'm sure you'll have apps,
But that won't save the world from the advance of grey goo,
That don't impress me much.

I never knew a coder who who didn't bother to design,
And just put loads of neurons... into nets,
And all that directed evolution supposed to sort it out,
'Cause Heaven forbid that AI should be transparent.

Oh-oo-oh, you think you know the secret,
Oh-oo-oh, you think you can code it.

Okay, so you've got a neural net,
That don't impress me much,
So you've made it spiking but can you train it?
Don't get me wrong, yeah I'm sure you'll have apps,
But that won't save the world from the advance of grey goo,
That don't impress me much .

You're one of those coders who actually likes PROLOG,
You make me write a formal spec before I touch your IDE,
I can't believe you think AIXI is a good model,
C'mon baby tell me; you must be unFriendly, right!

Oh-oo-oh, you think you know the secret,
Oh-oo-oh, you think you can code it.

Okay, so you know Solomonoff,
That don't impress me much,
So you got the maths but is it tractable?
Don't get me wrong, yeah I'm sure you'll have apps,
But that won't save the world from the advance of grey goo,
That don't impress me much .

You think you're smart but have you got Bayes?
Don't get me wrong, yeah I think you're alright,
But that won't save the world from all the Un... Friendly... AIs.
That don't impress me much.

Okay, so what do you think you're Turing or something...
Whatever,
That don't impress me...

-----

 * Michael Wilson