Re: ethics

From: Damien Broderick (thespike@satx.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 16:58:35 MDT

>http://newsobserver.com/business/story/3565292p-3167744c.html
>
>*Isaac Asimov had a pretty good handle on how to deal with smart machines:
>create them with built-in ethics. Thus Asimov's three laws of robotics,
>which make it possible to live with creatures smarter than ourselves. *
>
>Paul A. Gilster, a local author and technologist, can be reached at
>gilster@mindspring.com.

Be polite and informative if you email Mr. Gilster with a different
opinion. He tells me:

< The e-mail response from my readers to the column on the Singularity was
strong enough that I want to run more on the topic, perhaps in about six
weeks or so, but sometime this summer anyway. >

Damien Broderick