Re: Forbidden Planet

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 00:02:18 MDT

"Keith Henson" wrote:

[snip]
And how many of these conditionally switched on dangerous psychological
mechanisms do humans have left over from the Pleistocene? And what
environmental conditions turn them on? Darned if I know.
[snip]
In any case, uploading looks far more dangerous than it did a week ago.

---
Far more dangerous?  Perhaps not, because of insights like yours.  The more
we (humans) understand what 'makes us tick' the better prepared we will be
to handle the dangers.  Only yesterday upon reading about the abuse of
prisoners, my comment was: "Gee, I would expect some amount of captive abuse
to be par-for-the-course in Iraq".  Well, apparently my intuition (despite
sounding somewhat cold when stated plainly) has some support - both from
related experimental evidence at Stanford, and now with your evolutionary
explanation.
Thanks for your explanatory efforts.  I sincerely hope your warnings don't
go unheeded.
Michael Roy Ames