RE: Singularity to happen today at 5:45pm PST

From: mike99 (mike99@lascruces.com)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 21:18:02 MST

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky:
> > Ya know, if the Singularity *did* happen on April
> > 1st, people would still
> > be wondering if the whole thing was an enormously
> > clever joke by *someone*
> > two weeks later.

Tommy McCabe:
> Anyone with the capability to pull off that kind of
> prank for two weeks would be capable of causing a real
> Singularity in about three minutes. It should be
> easier to make ultratechnology than to fake making
> ultratechnology, especially for that long.

Michael LaTorra:
I think the point Eli intended to make is that, perhaps, there would be a
sort of Singularity hangover during a period about two weeks later when some
people would wonder if the incredible events that had just occurred where
for real.

I think Damien has addressed this issue also in his novel TRANSCENSION. Some
people, or rather some specific communities of people, might exist within
occluded enclaves where they live cocooned from the fact that the
Singularity had already taken place but they, for whatever reason, did not
join the party.