RE: On the subjective experience of consciousness

From: Thomas Buckner (tcbevolver@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 17:47:01 MST

--- Martin Striz <striz@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >From: "Ben Goertzel" <ben@goertzel.org>
>
> >My own perspective on consciousness is given in my
> article
> >

>http://www.goertzel.org/dynapsyc/2004/HardProblem.htm
>
> This sounds strangely like Robert Pirsig's
> Metaphysics of Quality
> (http://www.moq.org and the book "Lila"). Are you
> familiar with his work?
> All the qualia, the sum total of the current moment
> of existence, in his
> formulation was Dynamic Quality. I never made that
> connection until now,
> actually.
>
> Martin

Interesting intersection between Ben's article and
what I grasp of MOQ after a cursory reading of Anthony
McWatt's authorized explication of MOQ at
http://www.anthonymcwatt.co.uk/
 McWatt says:
"Babbie (1994, p.23) argues that social structure is
real by pointing out that individuals are really
expected to behave in particular ways with others
depending on the circumstance: ‘The wrong behaviour
can get you yelled at, shut out, or dead. That’s how
real social structure is.’ An example of this would
be driving on the wrong side of the road."
So while I agree with Ben re: reality/qualia as
Patterns, there must also be Rules, no less real than
patterns, by which the patterns interact. Perhaps ther
are only rules, and the patterns emerge from there.
And as for the background... ? The metaphor I picture
is that of being a man drawn on a chalkboard. How
could such a being either escape the chalkboard or
exist without it, or understand or manipulate it? To
us, drawn on the chalkboard, any thing that we can
perceive is more chalk. Turtles all they way, indeed!

=====