Re: escape from simulation

From: Wei Dai (weidai@weidai.com)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 21:32:29 MST

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 09:07:26PM -0500, Ben Goertzel wrote:
> Since Novamente will be a fully self-modifying system (when complete),
> it will be able to modify its own "prior" ;-)

Ok, but how and why will it modify its own prior? I'm not familiar with
Novamente's decision algorithm, but assuming that it is also based on
maximization of expected utility, it will never *want* to change its
prior, because doing so will always lower expected utility if
EU is computed using the current prior rather than the new proposed prior.
If it's computed using the new prior instead, then it will *always* want
to change its prior, which would be an even worse outcome.

If you still think Novamente will change its prior on its own initiative,
can you please give a scenario where it might do that, and explain
what the underlying logic of the decision could be?