Re: escape from simulation

From: Wei Dai (weidai@weidai.com)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 16:42:53 MST

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 09:25:50AM -0500, Ben Goertzel wrote:
> But of course, using this method, for each formal set theory, you can
> only distinguish countably many different possible universes -- even
> though some of these may be "uncomputable" according to the
> computational model adopted.

Yes, of course. But what point are you making by highlighting this fact?
That the generalization is undesirable, or that it doesn't go far enough?

> I'm happier applying the human intuition for simplicity to the *choice
> of computational model*. Hence, I prefer a base computational model
> involving very simple computational operations, such as the S and K
> combinator.... See e.g.
>
> http://homepages.cwi.nl/~tromp/cl/CL.pdf
>
> As it happens, this ties in with Novamente AI, since our system uses
> combinatory logic as part of its knowledge representation.

Does that mean that Novamente will be using a prior based on CL? If so
will it always assume that only computable universes are possible, or do
you expect that it will adopt a generalization of algorithmic complexity
on its own? Do you agree that the former would be a bad thing? And if the
latter how will the change be triggered?