Re: Singularity Exo-Paleontology

From: Wei Dai (weidai@weidai.com)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 01:06:53 MST

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:42:22PM -0600, Damien Broderick wrote:
> Well, I provided an alternative, very much earlier, date in THE SPIKE
> (which Seth Lloyd felt was more or less in line with his own analysis).
> Here's a novelized version, from THE HUNGER OF TIME by me and Rory Barnes
> (adv.):
> [...]
> `But our true first parents, the Titans, were hewn by evolution from Chaos
> in the earliest eternities of the very first microsecond of the Big Bang.'

Did Seth Lloyd mention which analysis of his supports this theory? It
doesn't seem consistent with my understanding of what he has written, in
particular his paper "Computational capacity of the universe" available at
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/quant-ph/0110141. Quoting from page 3:

> For most of its history, the universe has been matter-dominated -- most
> of the energy is in the form of matter. As will be seen below, most of
> the computation that can have taken place in the universe occurred
> during the matter-dominated phase.

In the same paper he mentions that the matter-dominated phase started at
about 700,000 years after the Big Bang.