AI the nasty way

From: Keith Henson (hkhenson@rogers.com)
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 16:46:32 MST

Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:37:41 EST
From: washingtonpost.com <NewsHeadlines@letters.washingtonpost.com >
Subject: Tech Policy and Security: PC Safety First!

snip

"The Department of Homeland Security and computer experts initially took a
special interest in Phatbot in part because of its most unique function --
its ability to disable antivirus and firewall programs and link infected
machines into "peer-to-peer" file-sharing networks that can be exceedingly
difficult to shut down."

The amusing thing about this bit of newsletter is that it contains 17 hot
links in the text. They are probably ok since this comes from a probably
reliable source. If anyone wants to try them out, let me know and I will
forward it.

The point of mentioning this is that adding a mutation engine to this kind
of malware might result in a kind of AI we really would not like to see.

Keith Henson