Re: De-Anthropomorphizing SL3 to SL4.

From: Charles Hixson (charleshixsn@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 08:01:30 MST

Damien Broderick wrote:

> Of course, Vinge makes sense, whereas Wilson's witterings about the
> number 23 and other superstitious drivel makes paranoiac delusions,
> and some amusing fiction (the kind that gets adolescents all churned
> up with its daring antinomianism and naughtiness).
>
> Damien Broderick

Wilson specifically mentions that he was intentionally copying all the
conspiracies that anyone had ever written to him about. This makes
sense if what you are concerned about is what people are thinking, and
how they see the world. The "number 23" is an example, probably, of how
many coincidences are actually occuring around us, if we bother to pay
attention to the world. Remember that Wilson's primary interest is the
way that people think. (Also remember that he considers James Joyce the
finest writer in English of the 20th century. You can disagree, but
it's a legitimate opinion, that many respected critics agree with, or
have agreed with.)

In many ways I have found Wilson's forecasts to be more accurate than
Vinge's, of course, neither was attempting to forecast accurately. Still...