RE: 'Singularity Realism' - A few thoughts

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 20:26:03 MST

Hi,

> > But all this is just using XML as a *data language*, not
> using it to
> > store procedures.
>
> But your procedures ARE data. Why not store/transfer them
> like your other data?

Yeah, we store/transfer them like any other data.

> LISP is interesting and good to know. EVERYONE who wants to
> argue languages should be FORCED to learn Prolog (the only
> language where I've had the experience of programming
> awkwardly in it until I actually FELT something twist in my
> head and then suddenly programming it felt and was natural . . . :-).

Prolog is cool... But backtracking is weak, and the cut command is a bit
evil...

> A curious question - - > Are you planning to build Sasha on
> top of Haskell or in C++?

Assuming we ever actually build Sasha, it will almost surely be in C++
or Java

We may possibly end up using a modified version of Nemerle (a variant of
OcamL) instead of Sasha, just because a friend of ours is now building a
Nemerle compiler that compiles into combinator expressions

-- Ben