RE: What would implications be for Singularity if US a theocratic state?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 06:36:48 MST

Philip,

The proposed law states that

"Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the Supreme Court
shall not have jurisdiction to review, by appeal, writ of certiorari, or
otherwise, any matter to the extent that relief is sought against an
element of Federal, State, or local government, or against an officer of
Federal, State, or local government (whether or not acting in official
personal capacity), by reason of that element's or officer's
acknowledgment of God as the sovereign source of law, liberty, or
government."

The third article you cite states that

"Because the judiciary is "an element" of the federal, state and local
governments, this wording, if it becomes law, may allow any judge to
institute biblical punishments without being subject to review by the
Supreme Court or the federal court system."

This looks like BS to me. According to the proposed law, if a judge
does some action X and justifies it by recourse to God, the Supreme
Court may still hear a case as to whether X was legal or not. Simply,
the Supreme Court may not hear a case as to whether *the justification
by recourse to God* was legal or not. See the distinction?

The proponents of the law may see it as a step toward some kind of
grander religious agenda. But in itself, I don't see this as dangerous.

I admit I am not a lawyer (though I've reviewed a frightening number of
legal documents in the last 10 years!), so there may be some subtlety
that I'm missing.

-- Ben G