RE: De-Anthropomorphizing SL3 to SL4.

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 12:27:53 MST

> it makes me feel like he has a false sense of hope, that the
> Singularity is more about embarking on a successful
> diplomatic relationship with the self-transforming machine
> elves, rather than solving a highly technical issue involving
> the design of AI goal systems.
> Michael Anissimov

Michael,

In fact, it *may* be the case that once an AI becomes sufficiently
intelligent in the right sort of way, it will make contact with all the
other superintelligent beings in the universe. These "machine-elves"
may be interpreted as a kind of metaphorical substitute for these other
already-post-Singularity beings. (Recall my earlier comment about how
psychedelic mindstates tend not to "correctly" distinguish metaphor from
reality, or symbol from referent. But in ignoring such distinctions
they can sometimes leap to insights that more careful and plodding
mindstates are unlikely to discover.)

-- Ben G