Re: De-Anthropomorphizing SL3 to SL4.

From: Michael Anissimov (michael@acceleratingfuture.com)
Date: Sun Mar 14 2004 - 21:54:18 MST

Heya Paul!

While a useful tool for understanding the Singularity, some aspects of
the analogy between the rise of Homo sapiens and the possible rise of
superintelligence worry me. John Smart (www.singularitywatch.com) has
been using this analogy heavily since he appeared on the Singularity
analysis scene, so my concerns with Pesce's analogy definitely apply to
him as well.

My first problem with the analogy is that it subtly implies a
developmentally predetermined positive outcome to the Singularity, when
this needn't be the case. The first recursively self-improving
intelligence could easily be selfish, or obsessively focused on a goal
whose accomplishment entails the destruction of humanity. In this
scenario, the arrival of the Singularity needn't represent the "next
stage of intelligence and complexity in the universe" in the positive,
uplifting sense at all. A superintelligence devoted solely to
manufacturing as many paper clips as possible could easily delegate all
of its complexity and intelligence towards plans for the complete
material conversion of the universe into self-sustaining paperclip
manufacturing facilities, for example.

Approaching the Singularity with the belief that "the history of our
universe has been a continuous ingression of intelligence into matter"
(as I originally did!) can give us a false sense of relief, a feeling
that the overarching hand of meta-evolution is guiding us towards a
desirable outcome. As it so happens, I do disagree that the universe has
been unfolding in this way. The word "intelligence", when unpacked,
subtly signifies a substantial set of traits; problem-solving ability,
carefulness, better choice of goals, conscientiousness, synergy with
surroundings... even sociability, altruism, and fairness. Yet the vast
majority of these traits are possessions of humanity alone. Passing
these precise traits on to superintelligence will not be easy, but
hopefully it is at least possible.

The universe has steadily been increasing in complexity, yes. From the
anthropic point of view, this makes perfect sense; a threshold level of
complexity is clearly required for a universe to generate agents capable
of observing it to begin with. But once the agents have come into being,
there are not necessarily any promises for continued survival. The
forces responsible for building stable forms in this universe across the
eons do not give a damn about us, and would continue chugging along
should we become extinct one day.

My second problem with the analogy is that it actually seems to
understate the potential magnitude of a successful Singularity. John
Smart argues that the discrepancy in information-processing between
major phase transitions (say, genetic and epigenetic information
patterns) works out to around 10 million, but this difference actually
seems minor in comparison to what a Singularity might bring. If human
general intelligence is represented by our brains, and our brains weigh,
on average, 1.3 kilograms, each processing roughly 10^17 ops/sec of
information (whether all these operations are functionally relevant to
symbol manipulation or general intelligence is heavily questionable),
then the 100 billion or so humans that have existed throughout history
add up to around 10^28 total ops/sec running on roughly 1.3 x 10^11
kilograms of meat.

Say that the first transhuman intelligence acquires a modest level of
nanotechnology, like the rod-logics that Drexler described in
"Nanosystems", which process roughly 10^18 ops/sec with a single
kilogram. Say that this transhuman intelligence quickly went off into
the Solar System and grabbed a quantity of mass equal to about one
thousandth the mass of the Earth. That works out to about 6 x 10^21
kilograms. Say it then released self-replicating nanobots onto that
mass, converting it into computing components to expand itself, upload
people, run more intelligences...whatever. Already you have roughly
10^39 ops/sec of computing power there. And with that amount of
computation, surely someone would figure out how to build better
computing elements, and gather more matter, and increase the overall
intelligence of the general collective...

My point here is that the Singularity radically outclasses any
historical event, even when we make incredibly conservative assumptions.
To me, making an analogy between the rise of general intelligence and
the Singularity sounds like trying to make an analogy between a
firecracker and the Big Bang. Any analogy will be appealing, but as far
as I can tell, the Singularity seems to be an event which is *genuinely*
new. Consider a hypothetical world where a large transition that occurs
can objectively be said to lack any analogies. If humans lived in such a
world, don't you think they would grasp for whatever analogies they
could, just to achieve the sensation of cognitive closure? Obviously the
ancestral environment didn't have anything remotely like the Singularity
in it, so we're clearly adapted poorly to modeling changes of this size.
Therefore I think it makes sense to be extremely careful in which
analogies we choose to use, if any.

Thanks for sharing this article with the list, in any case! I thought it
was particularly interesting because it brings up the analogy of casting
spells on the external world to achieve effects, an analogy I've been
using carefully since I first discovered the concept of the Singularity.
It's also nice to see a new prominent figure taking interest in the
Singularity!

Michael Anissimov