RE: Ethics of the Cosmos

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 17:50:18 MST

Even if all possible universes "exist" in Tegmark's sense, this doesn't
imply that all possible patterns in universes are equally likely. This
is the point of "attractors" -- some patterns are more likely to emerge
in more Tegmarkian universes because they tend to be attractors
(speaking loosely) of universal dynamics. The "universal morality" in
this perspective becomes a "metaversal morality" which contains the
ethical rules that appear to be followed by the pattern dynamics in the
vast majority of universes.

-- Ben G

Nobodaddy
> hurling bolts at sinners.
>
> Morality then becomes "What path do I choose from those that seem
> possible?" "What kind of world do I choose to create/embody/seek?"
"What
> kind of person do I have to be to exist in that sort of world?"
> If the cosmos as a whole has an ethic, it might well be "Here's stuff.
You
> break it, you buy it."
> But, as the I Ching says, no blame.
>
> Question: do some paths inevitably end well, others not? How much
choice
> do we actually have?
> If dead and buried = 0% free will
> and God-like powers = 100% free will
> the we must be somewhere in between (can't fly unassisted, etc.)
> and even old Nobodaddy (Wm. Blake's coinage) can't violate logic (cf.
the