Re: [SL4] AI --> Jobless Economy

From: J. Andrew Rogers (andrew@ceruleansystems.com)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 11:21:29 MST

Samantha Atkins wrote:
> Much of the middle class is a few
> paychecks away from bankruptcy. I have friends in the millions of
> techies, to single out one group, out of work. Good bright hard
> working people all. Not one of them "doesn't need a job."

And this is almost entirely their own fault (aided by the government, of
course). We as a species would get WAY more mileage teaching people to
be economically intelligent and financially responsible than any
economic manipulation you'll get via government.

More to the point, if these people are so "bright", then how come they
are chronic screw-ups economically? The best one can do is plead
ignorance, and that's fixable situation. Even though we have given up
on teaching such things as a society, people should figure it out on
their own sooner than later. If one isn't financially independent by
the time they are 40 (on the outside) in the US, it is because one has
chosen that path one way or another, and therefore I don't have much
sympathy no matter how "bright" or "hard-working" people are.

We don't *have* to be a society of wage slaves, we've tacitly chosen to be.