Re: [SL4] AI --> Jobless Economy

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 01:18:34 MST

On Mar 2, 2004, at 2:07 AM, James Martin Luther wrote:

> AI and orgs using AI as a competitive advantage will not deplete their
> own source of power.
>
> Human production and consumption through employment are an essential
> factor of the early development of the AI economy. It is likely that
> AIs will help mitigate economic forces such unemployment during
> periods of system shock, just as computerized analysis and modeling is
> widely used during the financial crises of today.

This view that power comes from consumption and production ever
spiraling higher is imho largely what is leading us toward disaster.
We are attempting to play the same old at hard scarcity assuming game
no matter how much we have, can produce or how quickly. We hardwire
the outputs to the inputs and wonder why the result fluctuates wildly.

A fine lot of good the current computerized analysis and modeling is
doing about the economy today. It is not easy to model and the models
can not overcome their starting assumptions.

>> Continuing the assumption that there won't be a hard
>> takeoff, jobs will become very scarce and laissez-faire
>> capitalism may not be fast enough to create enough new
>> jobs for the population. Then we'll get into a situation
>> where AI cannot be developed because of social problems.
>
> If capitalism isn't fast enough to deal with the forces set loose by
> the AI, a successor will emerge which is.

The fault is not captialism per se but this notion of scarcity and the
notions that grow out of it - like that people should not have a
reasonable livelihood or life unless they are more or less full time
employed or got a lot more than "their fair share" of some imagined
limited pie.

> Social problems have not often destroyed previous productivity
> revolutions faster than they could be solved by the benefits of those
> same revolutions. In certain cases, one economy is temporarily hobbled
> by new forces, giving a superior (but weaker) one the safety to take
> flight and teach everyone how to win.

An economy alone can't do squat if the fundamental problem is in the
deep assumptions.

- samantha