RE: All sentient have to be observer-centered! My theory of FAI morality

From: Rafal Smigrodzki (rafal@smigrodzki.org)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 10:35:50 MST

Marc wrote:

> I don't regard the evolutionary arguments as very
> convincing. They're based on observation, not
> experiment. Besides, it's only very recently in
> evolutionary history that the first sentients (humans)
> appeared. It's the class of sentients that is
> revelent to FAI work. Evolutionary observations about
> non-sentients is not likely to say much of relevence.

### You might wish to read some evolutionary psychology texts.

-----------------------------

> In any event, I don't regard non observer based
> sentients as even desireable (See my other replies).
> If you strip out all observer centered goals, you're
> left with normative altruism. All sentients would
> converge on this, and all individual uniqueness would
> be stripped away. You'd be left with bland
> uniformity. An empty husk. Universal morality is
> probably just a very general set of contrainsts, and
> FAI's following this alone would be qute unable to
> distinguish between the myraid of interesting personal
> goals that are consistent with it. Everything that
> didn't hurt others (assuming that Universal Morality
> is volition based) whould be equally 'Good' to such an
> FAI. There would be no possibility of anything
> unquinely human or personal. For instance the two
> outcomes 'Rafal kills himself', 'Rafal doesn't kill
> humself' would be designated as morally equivalent
> under Volitional Morality.

### I don't understand the first part of your paragraph. As to your claim
about what would and would not be equivalent under volitional morality, I
have to disagree. Since I am opposed to killing myself, all other being
equal, one of the outcomes is regarded as inferior in any moral system
striving to fulfill the wishes of sentients, including mine.

Rafal