RE: Ethical theories

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 08:08:03 MST

Rafal,

If I understand you correctly, you now seem to be saying something like

"Create goals, and rules that, if followed, will lead to the achievement of
these goals"

or

"Create goals, and rules that, if followed, will lead to the achievement of
these goals, with as few side-effects as possible."

I understand that the goals and rules are typically presented in a combined
format rather than separately, but I'm not sure it does harm to separate
them, and it provides some conceptual simplification.

I agree that these statements are more meta-ethical than your previous
proposal, which in this language was basically like

"Create goal-rule systems that will be accepted"

Your new statement is indeed more general, and is inclusive of the previous
one. "Will be accepted" seems to add a very substantial additional
condition to your new, very abstract meta-ethic.

Because, consider the "ethical" system:

DESTROY ALL LIVING BEINGS BY
1) FIRST STUDYING ALL OTHER LIVING BEINGS SCIENTIFICALLY TO DETERMINE HOW TO
KILL THEM MOST EFFECTIVELY AND AT LOWEST RISK, AND THEN KILLING THEM
2) FINALLY, KILLING ONESELF

This posits a goal and also some rules for how to achieve the goal. It is
rational and consistent. It obeys your new, more abstract meta-ethic.

However, in practice, it fails your former, more concrete almost-meta-ethic,
because at least among MOST OF the sentient beings I know, it is unlikely to
be accepted. (Now and then various psychopaths have of course accepted this
"ethic").

So, to me, by further abstracting your meta-ethic, you have moved from

-- a very abstract formulation of "the good" ["Create goal-rule systems that
will be accepted"]

-- a very abstract formulation of the general process of goal-seeking

Seeking the good is a special case of goal-seeking in general....

I think your previous formulation succeeded in getting about as abstract as
"ethics" can get. Your new formulation is *so* abstract it seems more
"meta" than "ethical" ;-)

-- Ben G