RE: Ethical theories

From: Philip Sutton (Philip.Sutton@green-innovations.asn.au)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 19:50:32 MST

Hi Rafal,

Enties that can philosophise can be cussed creatures. You make a
prediction about likely ethics and some bunch of activist philosphers
are just as likely to make it their business that this predicted philosophy
doesn't take hold. Why there are determinist elements in the universe,
when you throw in advanced intellects as actors there's a lot more
freedom to manoevre than our predictive programs can ever take
account of.

As many of my colleagues have enjoyed saying over the year - trend is
not destiny.

So we need ethics and meta-ethics that can take account of surprise.

Cheers, Philip