Re: What exactly is "panpsychism"?

From: Mark Waser (mwaser@cox.net)
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 12:18:25 MST

>> My current working hypothesis is that the complexity and richness of
qualia corresponds directly to the complexity of the algorithm.

>Yes! this is pretty much exactly what I meant when i called myself a
"panpsychist".

> The big question is: What is the right definition of "complexity" here?
That will only come out of a theory that crosses the experiential and
physical perspectives on mind ...

I don't believe that "What is the right definition of complexity" is a big
question. I think that we have a good handle on the definition of
complexity and that you are struggling with the fact that that definition
doesn't immediately pave the way to where you want to go.

I'd like to, once again, toot my diversity horn. I believe that complexity
correlates well with hard-to-reach/rare diversity. I believe that
increasing diversity is a "force" in the same sense that increasing entropy
and evolution are "forces". What you refer to as negative qualia correlate
pretty well with GLOBALLY decreased diversity either directly or indirectly.
Many of your problematical positive qualia (wireheading, altering someone to
always be happy) also correlate pretty well with decreased diversity. Why
not correlate your "morality" with what seems to be an increasing quantity
in the universe? ( Maybe there IS an absolute goal to the universe leading
to an absolute morality and we're just too primitive to see the connection
yet . . . . :-) I'd be interested to see if anyone could propose a moral
question that can't be reframed into a diversity question and correctly
solved.

I'd also like to note that I don't believe in qualia as some mystical thing
that all humans and many animals have. I believe that qualia are artifacts
of the systems by which we internally represent the difference between an
actual experience and our thoughts about an experience. I would also argue
that rocks don't have qualia unless they have some sort of consciousness.
And I would point out that there is scientific evidence that seems to
support these points of view and many learned experts and philosophers who
will debate the qualia point that seems to have become the orthodoxy of this
list.

        Mark