RE: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Tommy McCabe (rocketjet314@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 19:20:16 MST

--- Yan King Yin <y.k.y@lycos.com> wrote:
> From: Tommy McCabe <rocketjet314@yahoo.com>
> >> The 19C industrialization also created abundance,
> >> but
> >> that abundance was not equally distributed among
> >> all.
> >> From a historical perspective it seems the same
> will
> >> go on for the 2nd industrialization (replacement
> of
> >> jobs by intelligent machines).
> >
> >Intelligent machines? What do you mean here?
>
> AIs (not necessarily superhuman ones).

The jobs that sentients want to do will go to them.
The jobs that don't require general intelligence will
be done by robots. And the remainder... we'll see. To
be done in that order.

> >The first industrial revolution provided the
> capacity
> >for preexisting manufacturing processes to be
> >automated to some extent, thus making goods more
> >widespread. The Singularity, as a matter of fact
> even
> >just nanotech without superintelligence, will
> enable
> >us to convert rocks into goods. There is an
> inherent
> >limit as to how many shirts you can make,
> regardless
> >of the speed or number of factories, due to the
> >limited amount of raw materials. However, when you
> can
> >use anything (yes, literally, anything) as a raw
> >material, that problem kind of goes away.
>
> Abundance per se does not solve the problem of
> wealth disparity. We produce more food than can feed
> the whole world yet starvation persists. The issue
> is
> who owns what. How does AIs change the dynamics
> qualitatively? Seems that it does NOT...

If someone has less than someone else, it does not
cause the entire universe to end in catastrophe,
especially considering the sentient with less could
almost undoubtedly get more anytime ve wanted. Even on
Earth, billionaires generally have a hard time
spending all their money.

> >> Does a much better way of organization than free-
> >> -market economy exist? I don't know but I do
> notice
> >> there is some similarity between the free market
> and
> >> natural selection.
> >
> >I don't know, and please elaborate on said
> similarity.
>
> I didn't really have a point there... maybe I should
> say I don't know either... =/
>
> YKY

It is, by definition, pointless to say something
without a point.