RE: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Tommy McCabe (rocketjet314@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 14:11:11 MST

--- Yan King Yin <y.k.y@lycos.com> wrote:
> >> I'm afraid the singularity won't happen because
> it
> >> is impossible to formulate Friendliness *and* to
> >> compute it with reasonable resources *and* to
> >enforce
> >> it physically.
> >> Recursive self-improvement, however, is possible.
> >> Just my 2 cents for now...Cheers,YKY
> >
> >Ummm.... So no superintelligent being can ever be
> >Friendly? That kind of assertion requires some sort
> of
> >Bayesian evidence to be viable.
>
> It depends on how the singularity is defined: If it
> means the emergence of AI's then it is possible and
> actually highly probable. "friendliness" is also
> necessary but it will not be a god-like
> Friendliness,
> more like a utilitarian, practical friendliness.
>
> I'm just suggesting that people should stop
> considering some of the more excessive ideas such as
> the sysop or similar scenarios, of a single AI
> sucking
> up all resources. This will not lead to paradise
> because human beings will remain a diverse
> population
> that compete with each other for resources. The
> single
> AI will only transfer that struggle from human
> society
> to the AI. Everyone will instantly turn into kids
> vying for Santa's favor. Surely fun to watch, but it
> doesn't solve any problems. Alternatively the SAI
> can
> strip everyone of their privileges and make us all
> equal, but this is highly unlikely to emerge out of
> current conditions.
>
> We can discuss this in the #SL4 chat in a few
> hours=)
> YKY

Even assuming we aren't living in a virtual reality
where getting something is as simple as snapping your
fingers, competition for resources is unlikely when
you can just disassemble Jupiter and turn it into
stuff that people want. As a matter of fact, doesn't
that remove one of the main reasons for war, if you
have the technology for
instant-mansions-just-add-water? People don't usually
compete with each other for water during a flood.