RE: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Harvey Newstrom (mail@HarveyNewstrom.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 14:26:29 MST

Samantha Atkins wrote,
> Randall Randall <randall@randallsquared.com> wrote:
> > Economics is just the study of how people act. Discussing the
> > possible actions of SIs is economic discussion.
>
> This is a bogus overbroad definition of economics. By fiat
> you declare all action of intelligent beings to be
> "economics". Thus discussion the action of SIs (or any other
> intelligent entities) is an economic discussion. Totally
> circular - totally unenlightening.

I think it is common for everybody to see the world in terms of what they
know. The economist sees everything as economics. The moralists sees
everything as moral decisions. The evolutionist sees everything as
evolution. The physicist sees everything as physics. The politician sees
everything as politics.

I do the same thing with my security consulting. Security is the act of
controlling your assets. You want to make them available to yourself, keep
them from being co-opted by others, make them reliable and trustable. If we
count ourselves and our bodies as our primary assets, then all self-defense,
self-control, self-improvement, self-determination, etc. become security
issues. The same holds true for communities and groups. Longevity is
continuity planning for ourselves. Cryonics is disaster recovery. Diet is
firewalling incoming resources. Mind copies are backups.

It all makes sense to me that everything is "security". But then, I am a
security consultant.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,