Re: c * (positive qualia -negative qualia) + (1-c)* (total complexity of pattern)

From: Metaqualia (metaqualia@mynichi.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 04:45:15 MST

> Which Curzio has bigger/more-intense qualia? No doubt Curzio_a is less
> complex, in terms of enacted brain-complexity (if not "potential
> complexity", i.e. he might return to something resembling his old self if
> the Orgasmotron were shut off and hidden from him).

1. The orgasmotron machine, if it existed, would make sure that the brain is
just as active as it needs to be to generate the maximum qualia that can be
experienced by the human brain.

2. But again, what is the enacted brain-complexity of an orgasm?

Anyway the positive qualia part is the least important part of the objective
morality I was proposing; the more immediate need is to eliminate negative
ones from sentient beings, I don't think it is as controversial.

> I agree this is the right direction in which to think, if one seeks a real
> advance in moral thought beyond the classical approaches. But there's a
> loooooooong way to go, as I guess we all know...

I am not proposing something to keep for centuries. A tentative objective
theory, a set of quick fixes, pass those on to the AI, and then let it get
smarter and figure it out by itself.

mq