Re: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 21:07:40 MST

"outlawpoet -" <outlawpoet@hell.com> wrote:

[snip]

> One of the foundations of SL4s attractiveness
> to me, is that it's explicitly not for 'rehashing
> the basics'. This is the expert's pool, the
> description page seems to say. But what exactly
> do we experts agree upon? What are we experts
> about? It sometimes seems that no conclusions are
> ever reached, people just get tired of fighting.

'...get tired of fighting.' yes, I'm sure this sometimes happens. But in
my experience the arriving-at-a-conclusion is not the most valuable part of
the discussions on the lists you mentioned. Observing how the conclusions
are worked towards seems much more informative, especially when rational
argument is aired from actors with differing knowledge and experience. Each
of us must reach our own conclusions in the long run, and therefore,
studying how we might work them out for ourselves by observing others
presenting their arguments, is instructive. What?

Michael Roy Ames