RE: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 06:38:47 MST

Yes, the fallacies of quantitative reasoning in the soft sciences are well
known to me. So my example of biology as a sciences that's successfully
turned quantitative, was quite specifically chosen.

My father is a sociologist and has written a number of papers on the misuse
of advanced statistics in sociology, see e.g.

http://crab.rutgers.edu/%7Egoertzel/mythsofmurder.htm

He refers there to
"... a pernicious form of junk science: the use of mathematical models with
no demonstrated predictive capability to draw policy conclusions. These
studies are superficially impressive. Written by reputable social scientists
from prestigious institutions, they often appear in peer reviewed scientific
journals. Filled with complex statistical calculations, they give precise
numerical "facts" that can be used as debaters' points in policy arguments.
But these "facts" are will o' the wisps. Before the ink is dry on one study,
another appears with completely different "facts." Despite their scientific
appearance, these models do not meet the fundamental criterion for a useful
mathematical model: the ability to make predictions that are better than
random chance. "

The misuses of quantitative reasoning tend to be carried out in the service
of human political agendas and emotional biases.

I'm hoping/suspecting/trying-to-make-it-so that AI minds will be far less
susceptible to inner-angst-driven inconsistencies and irrational biases than
human beings -- so that they will have less motivation to misuse their
quantitative reasoning ability in this sort of way....

A quantitative moral calculus in the virtual hands of a reasonably wise,
emotionally well-balanced AI would be an excellent thing. And as has been
argued frequently on this list, an unbalanced, unwise human-level-or-plus AI
is likely to stir up a lotta shit (to put it mildly ;p)

-- Ben G