RE: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 17:47:22 MST

Perry,

I've studied economics fairly extensively (although most of my study was 15
years ago; the only part I've kept up with lately is mathematical finance),
and I've read Ayn Rand as well.

I agree with this particular statement of Tommy McCabe. It's obvious that
in future hypothetical scenarios where things like individual self are
thrown out the window, contemporary human-ish economics will likely also be
thrown out the window.

Mathematical economics is nice, but it's all based on assumptions that apply
only erratically even to HUMAN societies ... let alone to transhuman
societies. Modern economic research tries to bend the overly restrictive
assumptions, but this generates very hard computational problems that verge
on AI, see e.g. the work of Tuomas Sandholm (founder of CombineNet, a
company devoted to combinatorial auction technology):
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~sandholm/cv.pdf

-- Ben G