Re: Arrow of morality

From: Perry E. Metzger (perry@piermont.com)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 00:41:24 MST

"Jef Allbright" <jef@jefallbright.net> writes:
> I'm not talking about concensus morality here. In fact it is certain that
> the moral advice of a higher intelligence would not be widely accepted if
> communicated directly, but humans will be persuaded by the indirect, but
> tangible fruits of following its direction.

What if there are no answers that yield obviously superior results for
society? There is no answer, for example, to the meat question -- and
yet there is great rage among some about killing and eating
animals. Many thorny moral questions have no objective answer, which
is why they are thorny in the first place.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com