Re: Arrow of morality [Was:An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.]

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 20:46:08 MST

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 14:44:38 -0800
> While I agree with you that there is no absolute morality, and that all
> morality is viewed against a background of practical survival value, it
> seems to me that there is an arrow of morality that begins to emerge as the
> context is widened in time, number of participants, or scope of issues.

What is missing from many of these discussions is that biology is not destiny, that we have the ability to choose how we will act toward one another to large and ever increasing degree. So whether or not there is "absolute morality" is not the primary question. The primary question is what do we choose and why and what value different choices have for more than mere survival. We are a bit beyond survival being the primary immediate concern in the hierarchy of needs.

- samantha