Re: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Wei Dai (weidai@weidai.com)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 19:46:50 MST

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 03:13:52PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Unclear. Many people who are possessed of high IQs lack "social
> intelligence", and it may very well be a question of how much effort
> can be put in to both problems simultaneously. It is hard to be good
> at things like deep math or physics problems without being obsessive
> about them -- but if you are obsessive about them, it leads to
> spending a lot less time learning about social skills, which can lead
> to things like having a lot more trouble doing things like attracting
> a mate.

I'm not an expert in psychometrics, but as far as I know, IQ measures
something that has little to do with effort. Instead, having high IQ
should make both learning math/physics and learning social skills easier.
Which subject one decides to devote more effort to is logically
independent of IQ.

Let me advance the alternative hypothesis that smart people are
socially excluded and/or persecuted when they are young *because of their
intelligent*, and the lack of social skills is a result, rather than a
cause of social problems they face. Again, see
http://www.mail-archive.com/armchair-l%40mail04.gmu.edu/msg00324.html for
the game theory behind this idea.