Re: Affective computing: Candy bars for the soul

From: Perry E.Metzger (perry@piermont.com)
Date: Sun Dec 14 2003 - 07:47:08 MST

"Tyrone Pow" <tyrone@ubermetal.com> writes:
> Double whammy. While men are instigating some very potent emotional
> jealousy from their wives, they'll meanwhile drift toward an emotional
> detachment from them.
>
> I feel sorry for the woman of 2015.

Why? Seems like a silly thing to worry about. Of course people will
end up with emotional bonds with artificial intelligences -- and I
don't really see how that will be terribly awful. In the long run, we
all will be running on non-biological substrate, and I don't see why
discriminating in favor of biology is a good thing in the long run.

Perry