Re: New artifact: The Silicon Sphere

From: Tomaz Kristan (me2icq@icqmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 11:08:13 MST

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 17:30:41 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> How do you measure this? How do you relate this
> measurement to the macroscale?

Quoting: "The second is the duration of 9192631770
periods of the radiation corresponding to the
transition between the two hyperfine levels of the
ground state of the cesium 133 atom."

Quoting: "The meter is the length of the path traveled
by light in vacuum during a time interval of
1/299792458 of a second."

Now, who counts those two numbers? Nobody. It's a
definition free of any reference to an artifact, and
that is the beauty. If we could (and we could) define
kilogram in the same manner, we would be able to
transmit all physical data across the Galaxy, without
sending "the cylinder" also.

It would be a Western civilization context independent
definition! What the silicon sphere or iridium cylinder
- aren't. ;-)

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html