Re: Edge.org: Jaron Lanier

From: J. Andrew Rogers (andrew@ceruleansystems.com)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 11:33:06 MST

On 12/1/03 5:28 AM, "Lawrence Foard" <entropy@farviolet.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> It's a computer, Jim, but not as we know it.
>
> I assume your talking about neural nets, not magical mystical macro
> quantum computers?

It doesn't matter. As far as I can tell, quantum computers have no
computationally special properties beyond reducing the time complexity of
some classes of algorithm. If you can do it on a quantum computer, you can
do it on vanilla silicon. Quantum computing solves no problems that
couldn't be solved before, though it makes some problems more tractable.

--
J. Andrew Rogers (andrew@ceruleansystems.com)