Re: Edge.org: Jaron Lanier

From: Eugen Leitl (eugen@leitl.org)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 03:03:57 MST

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 06:44:41PM -0800, Lawrence Foard wrote:

> Even with the mind as a computer however, it is such a complex system that

It's a computer, Jim, but not as we know it.

> there is still plenty of room for its internal study. Just having all the
> bits laid our infront of us won't tell us everything. The genome is
> decoded and its very small relatively but still contains many (mostly?)

The genome is not all the bits. Even not cell+genome, the number of bits
present in fully developed adult is huge, and is generated from the
organism-world interaction. It's prescripted, but only in the rough outline.

> mysteries.

Top-down empiry is a powerful, but also a crude tool. To fully understand
biology you also need bottom-up from molecular and atomic scale. Currently
we don't have the computational tools to probe that scale at sufficient
resolution.

-- Eugen* Leitl leitl
ICBM: 48.07078, 11.61144 http://www.leitl.org
8B29F6BE: 099D 78BA 2FD3 B014 B08A 7779 75B0 2443 8B29 F6BE
http://moleculardevices.org http://nanomachines.net