RE: Pei Wang's NARS

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun Nov 30 2003 - 20:42:56 MST

Hi,

I much admire Pei's work on NARS, and I'm glad that you appreciate it as
well.

I encourage everyone to give Pei's work a close look. He is a deep AI
thinker, and his ideas are worth considering on the philosophical and
mathematical levels.

http://www.cogsci.indiana.edu/farg/peiwang/papers.html

As a side comment, NARS has a fair bit of overlap with my own Novamente AI
system, but there are some significant differences as well, for example
(this is a non-exhaustive list):

-- Novamente uses (a generalized version of) combinatory logic to represent
complex patterns and procedures; NARS has no analogous mechanism
-- Novamente uses evolutionary learning (in the form of a generalized
version of the Pelikan/Goldberg Bayesian Optimization Algorithm) to create
new concepts, patterns and procedures
-- Novamente uses inference to carry out attention allocation, rather than
simple heuristics as in NARS [this aspect of Novamente is not yet
implemented]
-- For logical inference, Novamente uses quantitative truth value formulas
that are based on probability theory rather than NARS's uncertain-logic
rules (Novamente's logic component is known as Probabilistic Term Logic,
whereas NARS is a non-probabilistic uncertain term logic)

-- Ben Goertzel