Re: Edge.org: Jaron Lanier

From: Perry E.Metzger (perry@piermont.com)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 12:09:03 MST

"Damien Broderick" <thespike@earthlink.net> writes:
>> I think what's really being said is "Computation has inherent limits
>> and awkwardness, because, like mathematical theorems, programs do not
>> and indeed cannot have a completely predictable structure. Rather than
>> accepting this, I choose to blame the people who started the field."
>
> This dismissal doesn't remotely address the specific claim Lanier makes,

Lanier and others can't actually articulate something in enough depth
to actually build a new theory of computation with it. Constructing a
mathematical theory in fullness turns out to be a very hard
problem. Until he or someone else creates one on some alternate basis,
I'll remain dismissive.

Perry