[Fwd: more networking applications: tribe.net]

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 11:12:48 MDT

attached mail follows:

As a part of my ongoing and semi-voluntary colonization of useful networking
services, I was just dragged into tribe.net. It's sort of like the bastard
child of ryze.com and friendster.com, run through a good prep school and
given a nice haircut. The selling point for a group of people migrating from
friendster.com is the designed-in ability to create "tribes" of people;
something that friendster frowns on within their interface (but need to
start supporting before they lose their head start). So with this in mind, I
put together the "Transhumanists" tribe:

http://transhumanists.tribe.net

Those of you who participate in these things, feel free to jump on in. (That
means you ragged-trousered transhumanists on friendster too).

(And I should note that Mike Lorrey seems to have created Transhumanism on
friendster, joining the ranks of other concept avatars in the system, with
the note: "Hi everyone, I want to tell you about my friend Transhumanism!
Transhumanism is ... one hot babe. She's hip, cool, techie, and 1337 as all
4377. She has an open marriage thing going on, and is looking for more
partners in developing emergent phenomena, exploring the universe, and
transcending physical limits." Sorry, had to share.
http://www.friendster.com/user.jsp?id=600401).

It has to be said, watching the evolution of these things is fascinating.
It's the scrabbling lizards on a glass wall stage; lots of momentum and
action, but not much purchase yet in the climb to something truly new. I'm
fairly sure there's something very cool, transforming and radically new
hiding somewhere in this whole six degrees and networking service thing, but
it remains to be seen what that actually might be.

Reason
http://www.exratio.com