RE: [SL4] brainstorm: a new vision for uploading

From: Rafal Smigrodzki (rafal@smigrodzki.org)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 16:50:18 MDT

James Rogers wrote:

> IMPORTANT POINT: I think it would be trivial to show that *most* AGI
> designs are theoretically valid approximations of the One True
> Solution (e.g. is it an FTM).

### Are you familiar with rock-paper-scissors? I remember reading an article
in Nature (or Science, I can never keep them straight) about evolutionarily
stable survival strategies, none of which can gain supremacy in the presence
of the other two.

My guess is that one would need a god's eye overview (i.e. 10e50 FLOPS) of
the multidimensional fitness landscape of possible mind structures to tell
if there is really one solution, or many. And I don't think that the problem
can be greatly simplified (= made to fit into a human mind), since the
fitness of creatures, including the smart ones, in the real world, is the
result of interactions of huge numbers of elements at many levels of
complexity.

Who would imagine that ants, cnidarians, and lions inhabit the same planet?
Just as there is no "universal survivor" on Earth, there might not be The
One in Mindworld.

Rafal