Re: request for new word

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 21:36:52 MDT

Mitchell Porter wrote:

> "The Comprise", well, that's like "the Internet", it's a name
> for a particular collective, rather than being a taxonomic term.

Actually, if I were to suppose that a real groupmind were to come into
existence in our near future through, say, computer-mediated broadband
telepathy, and for some reason this became widespread in many collectives
before precipitating an immediate Singularity, my guess at the term would
be 'nets', or more likely the name of the company that sold the technology
(hard to guess in advance what this would be, though). They probably
would not end up being called 'mindplexes' unless it was Mindplex
Technologies that ran the servers. Who could predict MMORPG or Google?
But I got the impression Ben Goertzel was looking for a good advance term
to use in futuristic writing, rather than an etymological prediction.