RE: SIAI's flawed friendliness analysis

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 17:31:21 MDT

> > As a parent, I would interfere with my child's self-determination
> > if they were going to do something sufficiently destructive. I'd
> > also try to change them so that they no longer *wanted* to do the
> > destructive thing.
>
> To others, or only themselves?
>
> -Robin

Of course, if one of my kids were self-determined to clobber everyone else
in his sight, I would try to change their motivational structure in some
way...

I didn't bring up the parent-child relationship all that lightly, by the
way -- there are some similarities between it and possible future AI-human
relationships. If the AI knows more, understands more, has experienced
more, and is benevolent in intention toward the human..... (Of course, this
analogy shouldn't be overstressed either.)

-- Ben G