RE: Failure of AI so far

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 16:21:16 MDT

Perhaps this is just semantic nitpickery, but I don't think it's accurate to
call it a *programming* bottleneck.

It's an AI design bottleneck.

And, until this AI design bottleneck is convincingly solved, we won't know
for sure if AI requires more processing power than is currently available.
We also won't know if there is a programming bottleneck -- i.e. depending on
what the correct AI design is, AI may or may not require vast numbers of
lines of code.

I'm betting that our Novamente design breaks through the AI design
bottleneck, but I don't pretend to have adequate evidence of this to
convince skeptics.

And, the Novamente design is pretty well fleshed out, but even if you
believe it, we don't understand the dynamics of a completed Novamente (which
we don't have) well enough to tell if it will need 200 or 20,000
state-of-the-art Linux boxes to achieve a kick-ass level of general
intelligence...

-- Ben G