Re: No need to rush AGI development?

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@mac.com)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 19:16:01 MDT

On Sunday, May 18, 2003, at 08:29 PM, Philip Sutton wrote:

> You've suggested that there's no need to rush the development of
> AGIs.
>
> I've been trying to work out what might encourage people to be in a
> hurry.

Aging is the least of our worries. Personally, I don't think I'll die
a natural death, and not because of an accident or murder or some such
thing. We're only a few wrong political moves from nuking the planet
or releasing deadly chemical and biological weapons. 150,000 people
die every day, many of them from starvation.

It's a race between those who want to develop Friendly AI (and any of
its kin, but I know of no serious alternative theories) and existential
disaster.

http://www.nickbostrom.com/existential/risks.html

--
Gordon Worley                      "The only way of finding the limits
http://www.rbisland.cx/             of the possible is by going beyond