RE: SIAI's flawed friendliness analysis

From: Bill Hibbard (test@demedici.ssec.wisc.edu)
Date: Sat May 17 2003 - 15:38:45 MDT

Hi Ben,

> > I don't think that determining the state of mind of the
> > programmers who build AIs is all that relevant, just as the
> > state of mind of nuclear engineers isn't that relevant to
> > safety inspections of nuclear power plants. The focus belongs
> > on the artifact itself.
>
> Hey Bill, some folks in the military intelligence community might disagree
> with you!

In my book I do call for such screening of those who will teach
young AIs, and even make the analogy to the military's screening
process for people who operate major weapons.

But for verifying that AI designs conform to regulations, the focus
should be on the AI itself.

> A really good psych-evaluation machine would actually be really helpful in
> rooting out saboteurs and spies.... As well as in rooting out people with
> politically subversive thoughts, deviant sexuality, and so forth ... hmmm

A number of years ago Admiral Bobby Inman, director of the NSA,
suggested that sexual orientation should no longer be a criterion
for security clearance, as long as it was not closeted. Nice to
see such enlightenment in high places.

Bill