Re: SIAI's flawed friendliness analysis

From: Bill Hibbard (test@demedici.ssec.wisc.edu)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 09:57:41 MDT

Dear Michael,

> IRT: "History vividly teaches the danger of trusting the good intentions
> of individuals."
> . . .
> Upon reading
> the works you are critiquing, I was struck by how little mention there
> was of anything like 'good intentions'.

My statement about good intentions was in specific reference to:
"The existing force tending to ensure Friendliness is that
the most advanced projects will have the brightest AI
researchers, who are most likely to be able to handle the
problems of Friendly AI." from CFAI. This does trust the
brightest AI researchers.

I agree that "intentions" was probably not the best word. But
even the most evil dictators think they have good intentions.
I also agree that most people are good. But a few bad apples
can have impact way beyond their numbers, especially with
something as powerful as the singularity.

Cheers,
Bill