Re: Hardware Progress: $212/GFlop/s

From: Tim Duyzer (tim.duyzer@sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 16:48:44 MDT

I don't see machines needing 2.5 years to train. Training time for humans is
a mix of social training and education. Unlike machines, though, we can't
simply load data into a brain. Give a superintelligent machine access to a
resource such as the Internet (which by then would likely be far more
extensive and powerful than it is today, perhaps completely unrecognizeable
at all) and it would take very little time for it to become adept at social
interaction as well as extremely knowledgeable - it would have the ability
to assimilate and process information on many more levels than a human. In
the end, there'd really be no need for any kind of AI training - just plug
it in.

Tim