RE: Singularity Institute - update

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 07:11:29 MDT

> > It isn't
> > that difficult to obtain reputation/credentials on a
> > non-academic axis that can be converted into serious capital
> > for AGI,

Hmmm. I think I'll have to disagree with that. There are plenty of folks
with formal AI credentials who would like to get serious capital for AGI,
but who have not succeeded in doing so. The funding establishments are run
by smart, well-meaning people - and by and large I think they do their jobs
well -- but they do have their biases, and AI is a field where these biases
play a fairly strong role, in my experience.

DARPA recently put out a BAA for AGI-related work. Depending on who they
actually fund, this may or may not be a turning point in the US government's
funding for AGI.

> Going the
> "mainstream" route of advanced degrees, peer-reviewed journal
> submissions, and so on might not directly advance FAI, but I suspect
> that it will make it easier to acquire the resources necessary to
> build FAI.

I agree, but I know from experience that all this is far from a panacea for
R&D fundraising, due to the general conservatism of the research funding
establishments out there...

-- Ben Goertzel