Re: Infinite universe

From: Mikko Rauhala (mjrauhal@cc.helsinki.fi)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 14:58:42 MDT

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 23:27, Simon Gordon wrote:
> Indeed. I expect in the future, many beings will want brain implants
> (or additional software algorithms if they happen to be uploaded),
> which will block their knowledge and understanding of Tegmarks level
> IV multiverse - perhaps just for some temporary comfort and peace of
> mind, or perhaps it will be necessary in very advanced beings in order
> that they can remain sane while maintaining their useful mainstay
> emotions such as compassion and empathy.

I find it improbable that it would be necessary to restrict the
knowledge of minds in general in this manner, if they're otherwise
properly designed (or modified). I see no good reason for a mind to be
concerned about something ve positively cannot affect.

Of course some human(ish) minds, and perhaps others, would likely take
this route even if others were available.

--
Mikko Rauhala   - mjr@iki.fi     - <URL:http://www.iki.fi/mjr/>
Transhumanist   - WTA member     - <URL:http://www.transhumanism.org/>